Bruno Spengler turned his third pole position of the year into his third win for Schnitzer BMW, closing the gap on current DTM championship leader Gary Paffett who finished just 0.6 seconds behind him at this weekend’s Oschersleben round.
The popular Canadian ran a perfect race from start to finish, building up a lead of 4 seconds at one point, with Jamie Green briefly slipping into second place, but it was Green’s HWA Mercedes team-mate Paffett who ended up finishing within sniffing distance of the M3 DTM’s tailpipes.
Local hero Dirk Werner grabbed fourth for Schnitzer, with Brazil’s Augusto Farfus followed in fifth for RBM BMW, while the highest placed Audi driver was Mike Rockenfeller, who crossed the line to secure sixth place.
DTM Oschersleben results after 51 laps:
1. B Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1h 12m 9.607s
2. G Paffett HWA Mercedes + 0.629s
3. J Green HWA Mercedes + 15.512s
4. D Werner Schnitzer BMW + 22.311s
5. A Farfus RBM BMW + 24.423s
6. M Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi + 26.940s
7. R Wickens Mucke Mercedes + 33.737s
8. M Ekstrom Abt Audi + 34.631s
9. F Albuquerque Rosberg Audi + 42.943s
10. T Scheider Abt Audi + 44.852s
11. J Hand RMG BMW + 46.140s
12. C Vietoris HWA Mercedes + 55.296s
13. R Schumacher HWA Mercedes + 1m14.587s
14. R Merhi Persson Mercedes + 1m15.545s
15. M Molina Phoenix Audi + 1 lap
16. A Tambay Abt Audi + 4 laps
17. A Priaulx RBM BMW + 12 laps