Starting from second on the grid, Farfus passed the Audi RS 5 DTM of Jamie Green to take the lead by the very first corner, but unlike the chasing pack of Green, Bruno Spengler and Mike Rockenfeller, Farfus had started on the ‘option’ tyres and started to created a cushion for himself. By lap four, the mandatory stop window opened, resulting in the rest of the drivers also switching from the harder ‘standard’ rubber before attempting to reel Farfus in.
Green and Rockenfeller spent the afternoon fighting over second and third, with Rockenfeller edging ahead towards the end finally crossing the line just over half a second ahead of the Briton. Filipe Albuquerque came home fourth to claim his first points of the season, followed by Timo Scheider and Gary Paffett, whose Mercedes was the only non-Audi car – along with Farfus’ BMW M3 DTM – to finish in the top ten.
Now on 124 points, Rockenfeller can only be caught by Farfus (on 91), but a second-place finish in Zandvoort or Hockenheim will see him crowned Champion. BMW retains its lead in the Manufacturers’ Championship with 276 points, ahead of Audi (267) and Mercedes-Benz (237).
“The key to happiness was my great start. I overtook Jamie Green and was directly in front. The stops were also perfect. I am very happy. We still have a mathematical chance of overall victory – and that’s why we fight,” said the Brazilian.
“The second place feels good. For a brief moment, I was thinking that I might be able to win. But it soon became obvious that Augusto (Farfus) was a bit stronger than we. That’s why I took it easy on the car and brought second place home. These were important points for the Championship again. A podium in the DTM can’t be taken for granted,” said Rockenfeller.
DTM Oschersleben results
1. A Farfus RBM BMW 1h11m40.894s
2. M Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi +6.298s
3. J Green Abt Audi +6.912s
4. F Albuquerque Rosberg Audi +10.837s
5. T Scheider Abt Audi +13.325s
6. G Paffett HWA Mercedes +14.707s
7. M Ekstrom Abt Audi +21.980s
8. M Molina Phoenix Audi +22.692s
9. A Tambay Abt Audi +23.109s
10. E Mortara Rosberg Audi +23.977s
11. P Wehrlein Mucke Mercedes +24.136s
12. M Wittmann MTEK BMW +29.004s
13. D Werner Schnitzer BMW +36.997s
14. R Merhi HWA Mercedes +38.620s
15. T Glock MTEK BMW +48.244s
16. J Hand RBM BMW +48.756s
17. D Juncadella Mucke Mercedes +49.751s
18. C Vietoris HWA Mercedes +58.626s
19. A Priaulx RMG BMW +1m10.973s
20. M Tomczyk RMG BMW +2 laps